- Students need NEW SKILLS for work, continuous learning & citizenship in a knowledge society for all students
- The net generation is differently motivated
- Reform vs. Reinvention – we need to re-frame the problem
What are the skills students today need (other than habits of the heart)
Seven Survival Skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
leaders of business demand employees think critically and solve problems
What does it mean to think critically for leaders of business?
-ability to ask really good and the right questions
- Collaboration across networks and leading by influence
Teams in industry are led by peers through influence [the lateralization of influence]
How do we teach teamwork to young people?
- Agility and Adaptability
you need to be continuously learning
- Initiative and Entrepeneurialism
Better to set more goals and succeed at 80% of them than to set few goals and succeed at all of them.
Fail early and fail often [this has been a theme through the gaming concept to]
How do we encourage failure rather than penalize it
- Effective Oral and Written Communication
Kids cant write because they don’t know how to think
They don’t know how to write with voice — putting their own passion into it
- Accessing and Analyzing information
there is a role for memorization, but it’s far far less than textbook bound curriculum of 20th century
- Curiosity and Imagination
We used to make stuff, now we consume
We’ve created an economy on making people want things they do not have or do not need (material consumption)
How do we create the engine of our economy?
The Answer is Innovation
- We would it mean to educate every young person to be innovative?
- The roles surrounding education need to be very different
- Curiosity and Imagination are the wellspring of innovation
[Curiosity is about getting rid of threat and drawing attention to novelty
Designing for novelty]